Urban design, Urban cycling,
CROW Design Manual for Bicycle Traffic is a famous publication that captures how Cycling in Netherlands is designed.
Types of infrastructure
This video on junction design is a good example of how to create safe junctions for bikes and pedestrians.
Stop Signs Suck and We Should Get Rid of Them by Not Just Bikes argues that stop signs are inefficient and less safe, and thus we should apply better designs of the roads to eliminate the need for stop signs. The Netherlands does not use stop signs.
- In praise of the humble Sheffield stand: the best, most practical & most efficient bike parking solution
Volker2020economic reviews the evidence and concludes that active transportation infrastructure has a positive impact.
- Love them or hate them, research offers financial case for big city bike lanes
- walking & cycling: the economic benefits
- “Sometimes, a shop owner tries to claim business was ruined because city removed 4 parking spaces. But now mayor can point to real figures and say: ‘There are 6,000 more people passing your shop on bikes. Are you sure you’re a good businessperson?’ ”—Jan Gehl,
- central Berlin. +65% visitors
Planning and building
Paris during the COVID 19 pandemic showed that it is possible to bootstrap a massive bike infrastructure within a few years. Some videos: - https://twitter.com/BrentToderian/status/1293309788076441600