COVID 19 pandemic
How to understand the vaccines?
- Vox: Why you can’t compare Covid-19 vaccines
Concerns about blood clotting
- 백신 접종 부작용 혈전증, 이것만 기억하라! | 혈전증 치료 전문가 순환기내과 나상훈 교수: 한국인 관점에서 어떻게 판단해야 하는지 요약
The curious case of AstraZeneca’s Covid-19 vaccine
She points to the story of the first vaccine for Lyme disease, developed by SmithKline Beecham in the late 1990s. The clinical trials for the vaccine showed that arthritis occurred at similar rates in both the vaccine and placebo groups. But media reports and suits by plaintiff’s lawyers led to fears among members of the public. Even after a panel of outside advisers to the FDA voted that the vaccine’s benefits outweighed its risks, sales fell so low that the company withdrew the vaccine from the market.
Around mid-March 2021, Germany stopped the vaccination of AstraZeneca’s vaccine due to the concern about rare sinus venous thrombosis.
- ‘It’s a very special picture.’ Why vaccine safety experts put the brakes on AstraZeneca’s COVID-19 vaccine
- EU agency says AstraZeneca vaccine is ‘safe and effective’
- Norwegian experts say deadly blood clots were caused by the AstraZeneca covid vaccine
- PEI: FAQ – Temporary suspension of COVID-19 vaccine AstraZeneca
It doesn’t seem to be crazy conspiracy, but potentially due to other reasons (other drugs, multiple hypothesis testing). Also it seems much more prevalent in Western Europe.
Pfizer and Moderna may have a similar potential side effect (not confirmed): Lee2021thrombocytopenia
There is also a claim of potential mechanism that links vaccine to the disease although it has not been confirmed yet: AstraZeneca: German team discovers thrombosis trigger