Many community identification methods use Modularity defined by Mark Newman. However, modularity and “modularity picture” cannot incorporate highly Overlapping community structure.
It is considered that networks have hierarchical, or multi-scale community structure. There are some methods (See Link community or other papers1).
Check out Paul Adams‘s slides and Adrien Friggeri‘s slides regarding real-world social community structure.
- Community detection, Graph partitioning
- Spectral clustering
- Block model
- Cluster validation, Community validation, Community comparison
- Bipartite community structure
- Dynamic community structure
- Overlapping community structure
- Local community detection
- Detectability of communities, Community detectability
- Community resolution limit
- Information diffusion and communities
- Community formation
- Community detection in graphs by Santo Fortunato
- Communities in Networks by Mason Porter, Jukka Pekka Onnela, Peter J
- The art of community detection by Natali Gulbahce, Sune Lehmann
- The many facets of community detection in complex networks
- The Computer Science and Physics of Community Detection: Landscapes, Phase Transitions, and Hardness by Cristopher Moore
- MCODE: http://www.biomedcentral.com/content/pdf/1471-2105-4-2.pdf
- http://bioinformatics.oxfordjournals.org/content/18/suppl_1/S233.abstract - jActive. using statistics.. check the papers that cite this.
- Detecting fuzzy community structures in complex networks with a Potts model by Joerg Reichardt, Stefan Bornholdt
in Directed network
Many networks have directional edges. Examples are: emails, WWW, citation, Food web, softwares, … How do we find communities in the directed networks? What does a community mean in directed networks?
The concept of modularity has a deep connection to the Random walk, and thus it is easily generalizable to directed networks. Elizabeth Leicht and Mark Newman generalized the modularity2
- Youngdo Kim, Seung-Woo Son and Hawoong Jeong, Community Identification in Directed Networks, http://www.springerlink.com/content/t0q363x3580g30v0/
- E. A. Leicht, M. E. J. Newman, Community structure in directed networks, http://arxiv.org/abs/0709.4500
- Youngdo Kim, Seung-Woo Son, Hawoong Jeong, LinkRank: Finding communities in directed networks, http://arxiv.org/abs/arXiv:0902.3728
- Jacob G. Foster1, David V. Foster, Peter Grassberger, and Maya Paczuski, Edge direction and the structure of networks, http://www.pnas.org/content/107/24/10815.full
- Gergely Palla, Illés J Farkas, Péter Pollner, Imre Derényi and Tamás Vicsek, Directed network modules, http://iopscience.iop.org/1367-2630/9/6/186/
- Module identification in bipartite and directed networks, http://arxiv.org/abs/physics/0701151
- Maps of random walks on complex networks reveal community structure, http://arXiv.org/abs/0707.0609
- Laplacian Dynamics and Multiscale Modular Structure in Networks, http://arXiv.org/abs/0812.1770
Flow graphs: interweaving dynamics and structure, http://lanl.arxiv.org/abs/1012.1211
Naoki Masuda and Hisashi Ohtsuki, Evolutionary dynamics and fixation probabilities in directed networks, http://iopscience.iop.org/1367-2630/11/3/033012
- Community mining on dynamic weighted directed graphs, http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=1651274.1651278
- Impact of hierarchical modular structure on ranking of individual nodes in directed networks, http://iopscience.iop.org/1367-2630/11/11/113002
- Extending the definition of modularity to directed graphs with overlapping communities, http://iopscience.iop.org/1742-5468/2009/03/P03024
- Eigenvectors for clustering: Unipartite, bipartite, and directed graph cases, http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/freeabs_all.jsp?arnumber=5559871
- Generation of arbitrary two-point correlated directed networks with given modularity, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.physleta.2010.05.072
- Potential collaboration discovery using document clustering and community structure detection, http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=1651274.1651283
Community structure and dynamics
- Laplacian Dynamics and Multiscale Modular Structure in Networks by Renaud Lambiotte et al.
- Flow graphs: Interweaving dynamics and structure by Renaud Lambiotte et al.
- Interplay between structure and dynamics in adaptive complex networks: Emergence and amplification of modularity by adaptive dynamics by Wu Jie Yuan and Changsong Zhou