The name came from a Western African word for okra. Creole and Cajun variants.
- Good sear on the meat (chicken, duck, …) with black pepper. (deglaze with beer).
- chop onion, bell pepper, celery, chili pepper (jalapeño) - the trinity.
- Make brown roux (one can also add flour near the end to make it more thickening, or make a dry roux using oven) and add vegetables, then garlic. (add beer), chicken stock slow. spices (paprika, chili pepper, bay leaves, thyme, … )
- Add meat. Andouille sausage, salt. good amount of pepper. Okra.
- slow cook
- add seafood near the end.
- garnish (Green onion)