How do work more effectively and efficiently? Here are some things that I think are important.
- Care for your body. Sleep well, eat well, and exercise. Bad health can nullify all other efforts.
- Single tasking. Prioritize and focus on one thing at a time.
- Cut or delegate unimportant tasks.
- Find and secure long blocks of time that you can focus.
- Write down. Don’t keep things to do in your head.
- Learn and use a reliable system to manage priorities and things to do.
- Set a stopwatch (use a physical timer); whenever the mind wanders, check the time and reset the stopwatch.
Flow and Deep Work tell us about the importance of “deep” work facilitated by a long stretch of uninterrupted focused work sessions.
The Power of Habit and Atomic Habits tells us about the benefits of a system-oriented (vs. goal-oriented) approach and the power of habits.
Getting Things Done is a book that introduced many practical concepts and tips about productivity that are developed later. So many tools and ideas are based on this book and the “GTD” system.
See also Research advice